Monday, January 23, 2006

Oppocites Attract

Well today was good and bad. I started out the morning great. I was happy and hopeful for a terrific day. I was woken by the best alarm in the world... Toby, and he ordered me to take a bubble bath (actually he ordered me to do that on Saturday because I had a bad day that day too, but since I didn't take it on Saturday, or Sunday, he ordered me again to take it today... and since he is Sgt Isaacs, I had better listen to him even though I am a civilian and I actually have higher rank than him. Ok, i have rambled enough on this right now). So, we continued our morning talk while I took a beautifully relaxing bath. I then went to get my braces removed. It was a day long awaited. I have had braces 3 times prior, and the only reason I got them on the 4th time was because I had migranes that wouldn't stop. So, I got them off today.

After I got home, I noticed my fiance's hampster was sreaking and gasping for breath. This hampster, Samantha (Sam the ham for short), was my man's pet and he loved her and she was only about 10 months old. So cute she was. Well she was cold and wouldn't wake up so I took her to the vet. Apparently, some time in the night she stopped taking fluids and became very dehydrated. She slipped into a coma and started to die. The doc rehydrated her and put her in an oxygen chamber and warmed her up, but it didn't end up working even though we thought there was a good chance for her coming around for a little while there. However, after her turn for the worse again, I asked the doc if it was worth it... is it worth her suffering. He said that he didn't know how much brain dammage she might have because of the lack of oxygen and coma, and since she was in the coma and dehydrated, she probably had organ failure. I made one of the hardest choices of my life and had to put Sam down so halt her suffering. Then I had to tell her dad... he took it better than I did... but I guess I was the one here with her, and he wasn't. He is detached right now, but I don't blame him.

So a bitter sweet day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Samantha. My brother's dog became very ill a while ago and I know just how horrible it is having to make the decision that you did.

- Your Secret Pal

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info